So, I’m sitting here today, doodling around with the blog…. trying to find a format I like that new a fresh and all that. Not sure what it will look like by the end of the day….. but hey! It should be different!
I’m at that point in the year where I am ready to make some changes. I feel like I’ve been in a bit of a rut and am ready to bust out. But, more on that later. Before I do move onwards and upwards, let’s take a quick look back to a race I COMPLETELY skipped over on here!
Over Labor Day weekend, some friends and I made our way down to Virginia Beach for the Rock and Roll half marathon! (sorry, the link here is for the 2015 one, but you get the idea right?) My friend Dmitri and I decided to also add on the “Mile on the Sand” the day before, and so it was a weekend of fun running. Now, this was the second time I’d done this particular half – the first was in 2012 and a friend and I walked the whole thing together. Yes, yes it did take forever, but it was totally worth it!
Again, without boring you with too many details – here’s my take on the thing:
- Ya’ll, it ends on the beach! Nuff said. Beaches are always a plus in my book
- The course is not hard, being mostly flat
- The Rock and Roll series, well, rocks
- You got THREE medals for running two races! Oh yeah!!
- The crowds all along the course were so awesome
- It only ENDS on the beach. Most of the run is actually nowhere near the coastline and is pretty boring
- HOLY COW is was so humid!!! And my shirt didn’t breathe well. I was so miserably hot at the end
- It’s at the beach, on the last weekend of the summer. It’s suuuuper crowded
There you have it in a nutshell. My time for the half (I guess the last one of the year for me) was 2:02:50. I truly thought I was going to PR this sucker and get under 2 hours, but did I mention how miserably humid and hot it was? At the end I was so happy for that cold beer!
It looks like I may be doing this one again next summer with the same group of friends. Bring on the PR!! (a gal can hope right?)